Lawyers for Literacy
Helping Reduce Juvenile Crime . . . One Book at a Time.
85% of juveniles in the criminal system have below-average reading skills. --U.S. Dept. of Education.
Children "do better academically when they read more . . . and have greater access to books and other reading materials in their environment." --National Center for Education Studies.
Upcoming Events for 2017 – 2018
November 30, 2017
– KickOff Social for tutors,
sponsors and school leaders
New Tutor orientation, Jamerson Elem., St
December 12, 2017
– New Tutor orientation, Rampello Magnet School, Tampa Noon-1
- January 9-12, 2018
– Tutoring begins
- April 2-6, 2018 – Tutoring
concludes. FSA reading testing begins the following week.
- May 2018 – Award
and Thank You Gatherings at each of 20 schools served
Since 2003, assisted by volunteer lawyers, judges, and other professionals in our community, Lawyers for Literacy has helped over
900 struggling third-graders pass the reading portion of the FSA (Florida Standards Assessments) exam and build a foundation for future success We strive to achieve this goal in two ways:
offering private tutoring in vocabulary and reading; and
providing a personal library of books to each participating child.
Read more about Lawyers For Literacy…
Calling all Tampa Bay Lawyers, Judges, Paralegals, Law Students, and other Legal/Non-Legal Professionals:
Involvement in Lawyers for Literacy requires a limited amount of your time—just 1 hour a week for 12 weeks
- Your time and support could determine whether or not a child is promoted to the fourth grade.
- Tutoring a child is a proactive and preventive way to help keep kids out of the criminal justice system later on in life.
- Your assistance and time commitment can leave a lasting impression on a child who may not have many positive role models in his or her life.
Read more about how you can get involved …
For Participating or Prospective Lawyers for Literacy Schools:
- This is a free service.
- Students receive individual tutoring from a local professional.
- Tutoring sessions are designed to meet the reading needs of each student through a partnership between school staff and LFL.
- Participating schools can help provide books for children who often do not have books in their home.
- Participating schools can ensure that the students and tutors have the necessary support and supplies during their sessions.
We'd like to thank the following for their generous donations, 100% of which were used to buy books, materials and supplies for each participating child:
- Larry & Maureen Ahern
- Steve and Gloria Angel
- Cohen & Feuer Arty
- Runell Bowman
- Amy Bryant
- Cakes By Carolynn, St Petersburg
- Certa Pro Painters
- Behiye and Rahul Chettri
- Amanda Clapp
- Andrew Collinson
- Michael Conway, mConway Commercial Photography and TecTao Designs Web Design (in-kind donation of services)
- Robert & Laura Craven
- Bruce Denson
- Christine Derr
- John Dixon
- Dwight Dudley Family
- Mary Evertz
- Farese Physical Therapy Center
- Neil Flaxman
- Hon. Marion Fleming & Father Peter Fleming -
2018 sponsors for New Heights Elem.
- Christian Giblin
- Lee Green
- Linda Suzzanne Griffin, P.A.
- Dana Greenbaum
- Carla Turner-Hahn
- Tom Smith and Sue Hanna
- Paul and Sandra Hardin
- Liz Heinkel
- Diana Holmes
- Beth Houghton and Scott Wagman
- Kathyrn Hynes
- Harris & Hunt, P.A.
- Lisa and Scott Johni
- Junior League of St. Petersburg
- The Honorable Lorraine Kelly
- Koch, Smith & Hoffman, P.A.
- Ken and Lynn Lark
- Dan and Silvia Leeper - 2018 School Sponsors for
- Barbara Marshall
- Tara Martin
- Bill McQueen
- Tim Miller
- Barbara Pacholec
- Kathleen Peters
- Mark Powers
- Maria Rawls
- Dr. Mark Ritch
- Kimberly Rodgers
- San Marco & Associates Private Investigators, Inc.
- Ken Scaz - 2018 school sponsor for Macfarlane
- Bill Schneikert
- Jeanette Secor - 2018 school sponsor for
- St. Petersburg Association of Legal Support Specialists
- Kate Taylor
- William Weller and Cynthia Smoot-Weller
- Penny Weston
- Amber Flaxman Young
We would also like to thank our community sponsors for supporting literacy in our area:
The H.C. Gemmer Family Christian Foundation
We would also like to thank the following organizations for their support and partnership: