Lawyers for Literacy
Helping Reduce Juvenile Crime . . . One Book at a Time.
85% of juveniles in the criminal system have below-average reading skills. --U.S. Dept. of Education.
Children "do better academically when they read more . . . and have greater access to books and other reading materials in their environment." -- National Center for Education Studies.
Upcoming Events for 2018 – 2019
– KickOff Social for tutors,
sponsors and school leaders
New Tutor orientation, Jamerson Elem., St
December 13, 2018
– New Tutor orientation, Rampello Magnet School, Tampa Noon-1
- January 8-11, 2019
– Tutoring begins
- March 25-29, 2019 – Tutoring
concludes, state (FSA) reading testing is April 1 & 2
- April-May 2019 – Award
and Thank You Gatherings at each of 21 schools served
Our Story 2019 is our
15th year of tutoring service!
Assisted by volunteer lawyers, judges, and other professionals in
our community, Lawyers for Literacy has helped over 1050 struggling
third-graders pass the reading portion of the state (FSA - Florida Standards Assessments) exam and build a foundation for future success We strive to achieve this goal in two ways:
offering one-on-one tutoring in vocabulary and reading
providing a personal library of books to
each participating child which they keep to start their own home
Read more about Lawyers For Literacy…
Calling all Tampa Bay Lawyers, Judges, Paralegals, Law Students, and other Legal/Non-Legal Professionals:
Involvement in Lawyers for Literacy requires a limited amount of your time—just
1 hour a week for 11 weeks
- Your time and support could determine whether or not a child is promoted to the fourth grade.
- Tutoring a child is a proactive and preventive way to help keep kids out of the criminal justice system later on in life.
- Your assistance and time commitment can leave a lasting impression on a child who may not have many positive role models in his or her life.
Read more about how you can get involved …
For Participating or Prospective Lawyers for Literacy Schools:
- This is a free service.
- Students receive individual tutoring from a local professional.
- Tutoring sessions are designed to meet the reading needs of each student through a partnership between school staff and LFL.
- Participating schools can help provide books for children who often do not have books in their home.
- Participating schools can ensure that the students and tutors have the necessary support and supplies during their sessions.
We'd like to thank the following for their generous donations and
- Larry & Maureen Ahern
- Steve and Gloria Angel
- Cohen & Feuer Arty
- Runell Bowman
- Amy Bryant
- Cakes By Carolynn, St Petersburg
- Certa Pro Painters
- Behiye and Rahul Chettri
- Amanda Clapp
- Andrew Collinson
- Michael Conway, mConway Commercial Photography and TecTao Designs Web Design (in-kind donation of services)
- Robert & Laura Craven
- Denmon Pearlman Trial Lawyers -
2019 School Sponsor Lakewood Elementary
- Bruce Denson
- Christine Derr
- John Dixon
- Dwight Dudley Family
- Mary Evertz
- Farese Physical Therapy Center
- Neil Flaxman
- Hon. Marion Fleming & Father Peter Fleming -
2018 Sponsor New Heights Elementary
- Christian Giblin
- Lee Greene - 2018
School Sponsor at Sexton Elementary in St. Petersburg
- Linda Suzzanne Griffin, P.A.
- Dana Greenbaum
- Rev. Donna Guillaume - 2019
School Sponsor at Maximo Elementary in St. Petersburg
- Carla Turner-Hahn
- Tom Smith and Sue Hanna
- Paul and Sandra Hardin
- Liz and Larry Heinkel -
2018 School Sponsor at Northshore
Elementary in St. Petersburg
- Diana Holmes
- Beth Houghton and Scott Wagman -
2018 School Sponsor at Jamerson Elem.
- Kathyrn Hynes
- Harris & Hunt, P.A.
- Lisa and Scott Johni
- Junior League of St. Petersburg
- The Honorable Lorraine Kelly
- Koch, Smith & Hoffman, P.A.
- Ken and Lynn Lark
- Dan and Silvia Leeper -
2018 School Sponsor at Sanderlin Elem.in
- Barbara Marshall
- Tara Martin
- Bill McQueen - 2018
School Sponsor at Campbell Park Elementary in St Petersburg
- Tim Miller
- Barbara Pacholec
- Kathleen Peters
- Mark Powers
- Maria Rawls
- Dr. Mark Ritch
- Kimberly Rodgers
- San Marco & Associates Private Investigators, Inc.
- Ken Scaz - 2018 School
Sponsor at Macfarlane Park Elementary in Tampa
- Bill Schneikert
- Jeanette Secor - 2018
School Sponsor at Gulfport Elementary in Gulfport
- St. Petersburg Association of Legal Support Specialists
- Kate Taylor
- Tinicon, LLC - 2019
School Sponsor at Northwest Elementary in St Petersburg
- William Weller and Cynthia Smoot-Weller
- Penny Weston
- Amber Flaxman Young
Much thanks to our community sponsors for supporting
young student literacy in our area:
The H.C. Gemmer Family Christian Foundation